CHKD is the regional pediatric referral center for southeastern Virginia, the Eastern Shore of Virginia and northeastern North Carolina – a service area with approximately 500,000 children. The 206-bed hospital also treats children from across the United States and around the world.
More About Us
- CHKD was established in 1961 by The King’s Daughters and is still Virginia’s only freestanding, full-service pediatric hospital, providing comprehensive care to children from birth through age 21.
- CHKD is the heart of an integrated pediatric health care system of more than 2,000 employees providing comprehensive primary, specialty and surgical care for children. Patients have access to all the benefits of the hospital’s community outreach program, including educational workshops and lectures.
- A not-for-profit hospital committed to quality medical care for all children, CHKD has the highest percentage of Medicaid inpatient days of any hospital in Virginia. Last year, Medicaid covered 54 percent of CHKD’s inpatient days.
- Many of CHKD’s unique pediatric services address pressing public health needs that would otherwise go unmet.
- In 2012, the hospital provided more than $79 million in community benefit programs and activities.
- In 2013, there were 5,177 inpatient admissions, 144,023 visits to the hospital’s specialty clinics and 13,109 surgical cases. The Emergency Center handled 49,651 visits.
- CHKD’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is the region’s largest and most experienced critical care facility for infants, children and adolescents suffering from acute, life-threatening illnesses and injuries.
- CHKD operates the region’s only level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with 64 beds for the most critically ill newborns in the region, including infants transferred from military facilities and lower level NICUs at other hospitals in Virginia and North Carolina.
- A specially trained Transport Team of nurses, respiratory therapists and paramedics experienced in the care and movement of critically ill children and newborns bring patients to CHKD from area medical facilities in fully equipped mobile intensive care units.
- The Transitional Care Unit at CHKD was one of the first programs in the nation developed to facilitate the move from hospital to home for technology-dependent children.
- The Children’s Rehabilitation Unit provides the region’s only inpatient facility for the diagnosis and treatment of children with severe disabilities.
- CHKD has the region’s only pediatric surgery program, offering everything from the simplest outpatient procedures to complex orthopedic and heart surgery.
- CHKD is a teaching hospital, headquarters of Eastern Virginia Medical School’s Department of Pediatrics and its graduate training program in pediatrics.
The CHKD Child Abuse Program provides comprehensive medical and psychosocial services for the diagnosis and treatment of victims of child abuse and neglect. It helps coordinate investigation and intervention services of medicine, mental health, child protective services, law enforcement and prosecution. In fiscal year 2013, children made 3,151 visits to the program.
CHKD's Childhood Cancer Program provides care for approximately 500 local children with cancer. Cancer care at CHKD encompasses children’s physical, emotional and educational needs and incorporates the whole family to help lessen the stress of coping with such a serious illness in a child.
Community-based CHKD Health Centers – offering a variety of outpatient services, including primary care, specialty medical and surgical care and rehabilitative and diagnostic services – are located in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk and Newport News.
The CHKD health and surgery centers in the Princess Anne region of Virginia Beach and the Oyster Point center in Newport News offer the region’s only dedicated pediatric ambulatory surgery centers.
Children’s Specialty Group, a physician-owned, multi-disciplinary pediatric practice, provides treatment for patients in dozens of pediatric sub-specialties.
CHKD Surgical Group provides general pediatric surgery, neurosurgery, urology, as well as pediatric cardiac, orthopedic and plastic surgical services. Children made 42,895 visits to CHKD Surgical Group last year. Other surgical services available include: anesthesiology, craniofacial and genitourinary reconstruction, ophthalmology, otolaryngology and vascular surgery.
CHKD Medical Group includes over 100 pediatricians providing primary care services in 28 locations throughout Hampton Roads, the northern neck and northeastern North Carolina. Children made more than 378,068 visits to the primary care pediatricians of CHKD Medical Group last year.
The Children’s Health Line is a free service that helps locate a pediatrician or pediatric specialist for families and provides information on parenting seminars and workshops.
History and Community Support
CHKD was established in 1896, a group of community-spirited women formed the Norfolk City Union of The King’s Daughters to provide medical care for indigent mothers and their children. They established a free clinic and visiting nurse service and in 1961 built King’s Daughters’ Children’s Hospital, with 88 beds and a variety of services. In 1979, the name was changed to Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters. Today The King’s Daughters number approximately 1,000 and provide financial and volunteer support to CHKD.