Friday, March 18, 2005
Contact: George Stinnett, CHKD, (757) 668-7043
APRIL CLASSES, PROGRAMS AND LECTURES
HAMPTON ROADS, Va.—The following classes, programs and lectures are offered by the CHKD Health System during April:
April 5, Life with a Strong-willed Child. Free. 7-8:30 p.m., CHKD Health Center at Oyster Point, 11783 Rock Landing Drive, Newport News. Parents and caregivers learn to understand acting-out behaviors, how temperament affects behavior and effective ways to handle spirited children.April 9, Safe Sitters. Fee: $35. 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., CHKD Discovery Care Center, 811 Redgate Ave., Norfolk. For 11- to 14-year olds who want to learn how to become safe and nurturing babysitters.April 9, Read with the Experts. Free. 10:30-11:45 a.m., Barnes and Noble Booksellers, Coliseum Mall, Hampton. A program for parents and children (birth to 8 years). CHKD speech-language pathologists teach parents how to foster children’s speech and language development.April 14, Multicultural Approaches to Creative Parenting. Free. No registration required. 7:15-8:45 p.m., Batten Arts and Letters Bldg., Room 104, Old Dominion University, Norfolk. Parents will discover ways to a healthier, more peaceful relationship with their children and effective ways to reduce parenting stress and achieve a fun, loving family bond.April 20, The Ten Greatest Gifts I Give My Children. Free. 7-8:30 p.m., CHKD Health Center at Greenbrier, 733 Volvo Parkway, Chesapeake. Parents will learn tools to build their child’s self-esteem, confidence and decision making abilities and how to give them the values they need to become healthy, self-confident adults.April 26 – June 7, Healthy You Weight Management Program (Teen Class). Fee. 6:30-8 p.m., each Tuesday, CHKD Health Center at Oyster Point, 11783 Rock Landing Drive, Newport News. An educational program for overweight children (12 and up) and their parents. This unique program includes an individual assessment and a 7-week lifestyle program, and a support group opportunity continues after completion of the program. Call 668-7035 for registration material and fee information. Tuition assistance is available.April 27, Stress and the Family. Free. 7-8:30 p.m., Hampton Road Pediatrics, 2106 Executive Drive, Hampton. Learn how a busy lifestyle can negatively affect children and hear suggestions for easing family stress.Pride in Parenting. Free. An eight-week program for parents and babies under one; learn what to expect and how to help your baby grow and develop.
Early Childhood STEP (Systematic Training for Effective Parenting. Free. A seven-week program for parents of children ages 1 to 6 years. Learn discipline techniques, what motivates children’s behavior and how to develop family respect and cooperation.
- Tuesdays, March 29-May 17, 6:30-8 p.m., CHKD Medical Group’s Tidewater Children’s Associates, 300 Medical Parkway, Suite 100, Chesapeake.
- Tuesdays, April 5-May 24, 6-7:30 p.m., McKendree United Methodist Church, 6870 N. Military Highway, Norfolk.
- Wednesdays, April 6-May 25, 6-7:30 p.m., Child and Family Services of Eastern Virginia, 1805 Airline Blvd., Portsmouth.
- Wednesdays, April 6-May25, 6-7:30 p.m., CHKD Medical Group’s General Booth Pediatrics, 2117 McComas Way, Virginia Beach.
- Mondays, April 11-June 6, 6-7:30 p.m., DePaul Medical Center, Center for Birth, 3rd floor, 150 Kingsley Lane, Norfolk.
- Mondays, April 4-May 16, 6-8 p.m., Church of St. Therese, 4137 Portsmouth Blvd., Chesapeake.
- Tuesdays, April 5-May17, 6-8 p.m., McKendree United Methodist Church, 6870 N. Military Highway, Norfolk.
- Tuesdays, April 5-May 17, 6-8 p.m., Foundry United Methodist Church, 2801 Virginia Beach Blvd., Virginia Beach.
- Wednesdays, April 6-May 18, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Child and Family Services, 1805 Airline Blvd., Portsmouth.
For additional information or to register for any of the above programs, except the Healthy You program, call (757) 668-7500 or visit our Community Calendar