Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Contact: Norfolk City Union of The King's Daughters
Holly Festival Trees Offer Spectacular Gifts
The Portsmouth Renaissance Hotel will be busier than the North Pole on Thursday, November 14, as members of the Norfolk City Union of The King’s Daughters get ready for the 25th Annual Holly Festival of Trees November 16 and 17.
The King’s Daughters, founders of Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters, will have one day to decorate more than 40 Christmas trees, hang dozens of wreathes (on doors brought in just for the occasion) and arrange a gingerbread village that would put most urban planners to shame.
All of these items will be sold to the highest bidders Friday, November 16, at a gala auction. Proceeds will go toward the purchase of a new portable X-ray machine for CHKD. Event organizers hope to raise the total purchase cost, which is $120,000. Previous Holly Festivals have helped the hospital purchase medical cribs, an aquatic therapy pool, incubators and pediatric ventilators, among many other items.
Trees for the 2007 Holly Festival will include the following:
- “Going to Town,” featuring packages of fine dining, entertainment, shopping and accommodations in Virginia Beach Town Center as well as airfare to Washington, D.C. and accommodations for two at the capitol city’s Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
- “Hooray for Hollywood,” a trip to Hollywood, California, including round trip airfare, luxury accommodations and behind-the-scenes tours; a local private, red-carpet movie screening; and a year of movie passes to Regal Cinema
- “A Tribute to James Bond,” featuring a Hart Schaffner Marx tuxedo, a four-day Carnival Cruise, airfare on Southwest Airline, personal training sessions, a gaming table and a complete 007 movie collection
- “Silent Night at the Movies,” with a flat-screen TV, movie projector and screen, sound system, recliner chairs, a DVD player and DVDs
- An “All-American Christmas” featuring a Kitchen Aid mixer, a Dooney & Bourke shopper handbag, a Tom-Tom GPS system, a 32-inch wide-screen, hi-def JVC LCD TV, a JVC mini DVD camera, a Bose Wave CD player, a selection of children’s toys and a $1,500 gift certificate to QVC.
- “Traditions of Luxury,” featuring down and cashmere bedding, crystal champagne flutes, Vera Wang pajamas, a Brahmin handbag, martini accoutrements, designer chocolates and his and her fragrance packages, all from Dillard’s at MacArthur Center.
More than 30 silent auction trees will offer all sorts of gifts as well. These include spa packages, home and garden décor, delicacies from Harry & David and Omaha Steaks, Redskins tickets, a Pinehurst golf package, a trip to the Homestead and gift certificates galore for local events, attractions, entertainment and restaurants.
For more information or to purchase tickets for the Holly Festival events, call 668-7098 or visit www.kingsdaughters.org. The Portsmouth Renaissance Hotel is located at 425 Water Stree in Portsmouth.