Monday, August 10, 2009
Contact: Greg Raver-Lampman
Kohl’s sponsored free public programs in September
HAMPTON ROADS, VA
– The following free public program in September is sponsored by CHKD and Kohl’s Department Store.
- September 10, Happiest Baby on the Block. Free. 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. CHKD Health and Surgery Center at Princess Anne, 2021 Concert Drive, Virginia Beach. This two-hour class for expectant and new parents will help Mom and Dad navigate the first months of Baby's life while learning how to soothe even the fussiest infant in minutes and help Baby sleep longer. Parents will learn about the calming reflex, the cuddle cure and the "5 Ss." All participants will receive "The Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD by Dr. Harvey Karp and a soothing sounds CD. To register call Sam Fabian at 668-7402.
- September 23, Parenting a Child with Special Needs. Free. 9:30 – 11:00 a.m. CHKD Health and Surgery Center at Princess Anne, 2021 Concert Drive, Virginia Beach. This six-week class series offers families the support and skills they need to navigate the difficult paths of parenting when a child is diagnosed with a chronic, life-altering or life-threatening health or behavior challenge. Families will learn to create nurturing homes and healthcare routines that create a foundation of cooperation and enhance quality of life for the entire family. Register online at www.chkd.org/classes or call 668-7500.
- September 24, Helping Children Cope with Anxiety. Free. 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. CHKD Brickhouse Auditorium, Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters, 601 Children's Lane, Norfolk. Did you know that anxiety disorders are the most common emotional problem in children and adolescents? Anxiety can prevent children from being successful in and out of school environments. Learn about the various forms of anxiety disorders including worry, separation anxiety, perfectionism, social anxiety, OCD, etc., and the differences between normal and problem anxiety. Hear about early warning signs and gain practical guidance and parenting strategies to use at home and school to help children overcome anxiety. Register online at www.chkd.org/classes or call 668-7500.
- September 25, The Many Faces of Anxiety in Children and Adolescents - Professional Workshop. Free. 9:00 – 12:00 p.m. Virginia Beach Central Library Auditorium, 4100 Virginia Beach Blvd., Virginia Beach. Learn what fuels anxiety in children and adolescents and practical and effective strategies for worry, perfectionism, school refusal, panic, obsessions, compulsions, separation and social anxiety. Child-friendly cognitive behavioral interventions and the Worry Hill approach to helping children conquer anxiety will be discussed. Register online at www.chkd.org/classes or call 668-7500.
This series is co-presented by CHKD and Kohl’s Department Stores as part of a series of lectures on children’s health and wellness. The series is made possible by a $103,898 grant from Kohl’s through the Kohl’s Cares for Kids campaign.