Career Opportunities at CHKD
Become a Respiratory Therapist at CHKD
Respiratory therapists at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters are uniquely trained and share our dedication to children. The Respiratory Care Department is a centralized department where almost all staff members are registered respiratory therapists (RRT) or are registry-eligible. Many have successfully taken the NBRC Perinatal-Pediatric specialty exam. Educational opportunities for certifications in NRP and PALS are available.
Respiratory therapists are involved in all areas of the hospital and are integral members of the Code Team.
CHKD offers 12-hour rotating shifts and work every third weekend. Newcomers receive a challenging, personalized orientation.
The following is a unit-by-unit peek at what RTs can expect at CHKD:
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit:
- State-of-the-art 56-bed unit
- Equipment includes Drager Babylog 8000 and Evita conventional ventilators, Sensormedics 3100A high-frequency oscillator and the Bunnell high-frequency jet ventilator
- Surfactant replacement therapy
- Nitric oxide therapy
- Transports of critically-ill newborns from the delivery room
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit:
- State-of-the-art 18-bed unit
- Equipment includes the Servo 300, Servo-I conventional ventilators and the Sensormedics 3100B high-frequency oscillator
- Nitric oxide and heliox therapies
- Diverse diagnoses
- Complex-pediatric cardiac post-operative care
- Participation in patient care rounds and X-ray rounds
- Resident education
Transitional Care Unit:
- Unique unit for technology-dependent children
- Ventilators include LTV-1000 and LTV-1200
- Tracheostomy care
- Family education
- Participation in patient care rounds
General Care Units:
- Routine therapies, including HHN and CPT
- PEP device and vest therapies
- Tracheostomy care
- Patient and family education
- Work with referral facilities to stabilize and transport critically ill infants and children
- Intubation certified; needle decompressions, IVs, nitric oxide
- Team is composed of RN, RT and a paramedic
- Members are NRP, PALS, BLS, and ACLS certified
- Helicopter, fixed wing and ground transports
- Only pediatric emergency room in the Hampton Roads area
- Provide continuous nebulized medications
- Assist in resuscitations with airway management
For information about joining our team, contact CHKD’s human resources department at (757) 668-7128, fax (757) 668-7745 or message firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in becoming a CHKD respiratory therapist, you can apply online now.