Steps to Becoming a CHKD Volunteer
Thank you for your inquiry concerning volunteer opportunities at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters. Outlined below is more about the volunteer services program at CHKD. Because we place the utmost importance on the safety and health of our patients, becoming a volunteer is a series of “steps”.
The first step in becoming a CHKD volunteer is to gather the health information listed below. If you do not have the required immunization records, please discuss your options at your interview.
- Proof of two (2) MMR immunizations since birth or proof of blood tests indicating immunity.
- Adults born before 1957 need only show proof of immunity to Measles (Rubeola). If you do not have access to this record, we will discuss your options at your interview
- Verbal or written verification of a history of chicken pox or immunization.
- Name and address of a personal reference; any adult not related to you.
- Addresses from the past seven (7) years, required on the criminal background clearance form.
- One of the following forms of identification: driver’s license, social security card, military ID or passport.
Next, schedule your interview appointment by contacting us at (757) 668-7195.
At the interview, you will complete application paperwork including criminal background clearance and view volunteer videos. You should allow one hour for this appointment and bring the required information listed above with you.
Based on the interview and associated background and security clearances, you will be notified of acceptance into the volunteer program.
The next step is to attend a monthly volunteer orientation. Volunteers are also required to provide proof of a negative PPD (TB skin test) administered within the past 6 months. If you have previously tested positive during a TB skin test, you must provide chest x-ray results indicating “No Active TB”. This is an annual federal requirement in the healthcare field.
After completing the application, screening, orientation process, and providing required health information, you will be ready to start as a scheduled volunteer. Additional training will be provided by the unit/department in which you volunteer. Please note that CHKD does not accept volunteers for court mandated volunteer hours. In addition, CHKD has a nicotine free hiring and volunteering policy.
We appreciate your interest in sharing a little of your time with our patients and staff at CHKD.
Contact Volunteer Services
For additional information on volunteering at CHKD please call us at (757) 668-7195 or email us email@example.com. If you are interested in the
Jr. Volunteer Program, please call between March 1 and June 1 for more information.
Return to the main CHKD Volunteer page.