"CHKD provides a happy workplace with great people who love children too."
Dr. Angela Duff Hogan
American Board of Allergy & Immunology
American Board of Pediatrics
Medical School: University of Louisville
Residency: Kosair Children's Hospital
Fellowship: University of Virginia Hospitals
Fellowship: Medical College of Virginia Hospitals
Dr. Angela Hogan is very passionate about community education in asthma and food allergies. She feels it is very important to not only get the correct diagnosis for food allergies but also important to understand the impact such a diagnosis has on the child and the family. She formed a regional food allergy support group called FASGOT.com, which helps healthcare providers, schools and families deal with food allergies. She is extensively involved in the education of the school nurses in the seven districts in her area and has organized outreach programs for community physicians.
For Dr. Hogan, CHKD really is more than a hospital. It allows her to teach not only families but also future doctors in pediatrics and allergy. It supports her as she tries to work in the community, and it allows her to do clinical research.
- Food allergy
Honors & Awards
- Coastal Virginia Magazine "Top Doc" for 2014
- Hampton Roads “Top Docs” 2013
- Hampton Roads “Top Docs” 2012
- Hampton Roads “Super Docs” 2011
- Inside Business “HealthCare Hero 2011”
- Hampton Roads “Top Docs Hall of Fame” 2010
- Hampton Roads “Top Docs for Kids” 2010
- Honorary Chair for the First Annual Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network Walk for food Allergy 2009
- Hampton Roads “Top Docs” 2008
- William E. Pierson Visiting Faculty Award 2006
- Hampton Roads “Top Docs for Kids” 2004
- America’s Top Physicians Award 2003
- Co-founder and Medical director of the Food Allergy Support Group of the Tidewater (fasgot.com)
- Fellow of American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology 1990-present
- Fellow of American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology 1991-present
- Fellow of American Academy of Pediatrics 1987-present
- Virginia Allergy Society 2001-present
- Virginia Academy of Pediatrics 2005-present
- Tidewater Pediatric Society 2005-present
- Stover B, Duff AL, Adams G, Buck G, Hancock, Rabalais G. Emergence and control of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in a children’s hospital and pediatric chronic care facility. American Journal of Infection Control 1992;20:248-55.
- Duff AL, Platts-Mills TAE. Allergens and asthma. Pediatric Clinics of North America 1992;39:1277-1291.
- Duff AL, Pomeranz ES, Gelber LE, Price GW, Farris AH, Hayden FG, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. Risk factors for acute wheezing in infants and children: viruses, passive smoke, and IgE antibodies to inhalant allergens. Pediatrics 1993;92:535-540.
- Price GW, Hogan AD, Farris AH, Burks AW, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. Sensitization (IgE antibody) to food allergens in wheezing infants and children. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1995;96:266-270.
- Heymann PW, Rakes GP, Hogan AD, Ingram JM, Hoover GE, Platts-Mills TAE. Assessment of eosinophils, viruses, and IgE antibody in wheezing infants and children. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 1995;107:380-382.
- Hogan AD, Burks AW. Epidermal langerhans cells and their function in the skin immune system.
- Annals of allergy, Asthma and Immunology 1995; 75:5-11.
- Hogan AD, Schwartz LB. Markers of mast cell degranulation. Methods: A Companion to Methods in Enzymology 13(1):43-52,1997.
- Chang MY, Hogan AD, Rakes GP, Ingram JM, Hoover GE, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. Salivary cotinine levels in children presenting with wheezing to an emergency department. Pediatric Pulmonology 2000; 29:257-263.
- Lovegreen MT, Boyce A, Hogan AD. Effect of fluticasone proprionate on growth velocity in asthmatic pubescent girls. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010
- Johnson J, Cronin J, Morales MB, Hogan AD. Reliability of food-specific serum IgE values in determining negative outcomes in oral food challenges. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 121: S247.
- Stallings AP, Hogan AD. Early exposure to peanut and sensitization at a children’s hospital clinic. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117: S35.
- Frieson JH, Morchen S, Kelly CS, Hogan AD. Comparison of pediatric and adult anaphylaxis cases presenting to emergency departments. . J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 111:S101
- Frieson JH, Morchen S, Kelly CS, Hogan AD. Systemic allergic reactions in a pediatric ER in Southeastern Virginia. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2002; 109:S180.
- Hogan AD, Dolan MD, Abernathy MS, Irani AM, Schwartz LB. α- and β-tryptase levels in near-miss sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1996; 97:363.
- Hogan AD, James JM, Wheeler JG, Burks AW, Graham MD, Harville TO. TH2-type response in Omenn’s syndrome (OS) resolved after bone marrow transplantation (BMT). J Allergy Clin Immunol 1995; 95:143.
- Chang MY, Hogan AD, Rakes GP, Ingram JM, Hoover GE, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. Risk factors for high levels of salivary cotinine in children exposed to tobacco smoke. J Allergy Clini Immunol 1995; 95:481.
- Price GW, Duff AL, Farris AH, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. IgE antibody responses to common food allergens in wheezing infants and children. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1993; 91:173.
- Duff AL, Wilson BB, Nolte HK, Deuell BL, Platts-Mills TAE. Hypersensitivity to pityrosporum orbiculare in atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1993;91:245.
- Duff AL, Pomeranz E, Price GW, Gelber LE, Farris AH, Hayden FG, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. Passive smoke, viruses and inhalant allergens: Risk factors for acute wheezing in children. Virginia Medical Quarterly 1992;119:263-265.
- Deuell BL, Wilson BB, Duff AL, Heymann PW, Platts-Mills TAE. Improvement in atopic dermatitis in parallel with measures to reduce exposure to dust mite allergens. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1992;89:326.
- Duff AL, Gelber LE, Deuell BL, Wilson BB, Farris AH, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. Development of inhalant allergy in early childhood: Association with asthma and atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1992;89:315.
- Heymann PW, Duff AL, Gelber LE, Farris AH, Platts-mills TAE. Measurement of salivary cotinine to judge tobacco smoke exposure in wheezing children from emergency room. J Allergy Clini Immunol 1992;89:231.
- Duff AL, Pomeranz E, Gelber LE, Farris AH, Hayden FG, Platts-Mills TAE, Heymann PW. Measurements of salivary cotinine to judge tobacco smoke exposure in wheezing children evaluated for viral respiratory tract infection and inhalant allergy. Virginia Medical Quarterly, 1991;118:239-240.