"I am very fortunate to work at a prestigious hospital that not only is an advocate for children's health but also trains future pediatricians who often stay and serve Hampton Roads. CHKD is like a second home to everyone who becomes a part of it."
Dr. Maripaz Morales
American Board of Allergy & Immunology
American Board of Pediatrics
Medical School: University of Santo Tomas
Residency: Brooklyn Hospital Center
Fellowship: North Shore University Hospital
Dr. Morales first discovered Hampton Roads in the 1990's when she was a pediatric resident in New York. She had family here, loved the area’s rich cultural diversity and heard wonderful things about CHKD. She hoped this would be the place she would one day settle.
Now, 20 years later, she feels fortunate to have accomplished that goal.
- Asthma pathophysiology, inflammation and adherence to therapy
- Allergic disorders including immediate and delayed food reactions
- Delayed hypersensitivity reactions/metal allergy
- Allergy/immunology attending and faculty at EVMS with responsibilities in teaching and training students and residents in the field of allergy/immunology
- Several research projects with medical students and pediatric residents presented in local and national medical meetings
- Member of Minority Student Affairs committee at Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Member of CSG (Children's Specialty Group) Hospital Gift Giving committee
- Member of CHKD Asthma Coalition
- Morales M., Ong V., et al - Jogging in place test as a measure of hyper-reactivity of airway in children (presented in the University of Santo Tomas clinical clerkship scientific paper presentation, 1991)
- Morales M., Madanguit A., et al - Age, blood pressure and position as factors affecting intraocular pressure variation in adult subjects (presented at Manila Doctors Hospital clinical internship scientific paper presentation, 1993)
- Morales M. and Young RM - Risk of intraocular pressure elevation in pediatric population utilizing inhaled/nasal steroids (presented at the poster session American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, San Francisco, CA Feb. 1997 and at the Long Island Allergy Society meeting, Newport, RI, May 1997)
- Pahwa S. and Morales M., Interleukin-2 therapy in HIV infection, AIDS Patient Care, vol 12, number 3, 1998 187-19
- Morales M., Bakshi S., Kumar S., Sahdev MI and Pahwa S. - Omenn’s Syndrome with an unusual clinical and immunologic presentation (presented at the poster session, American College of Allergy Asthma and Immunology San Diego, CA, Nov 1997)
- Morales M., Than S., Bakshi S. and Pahwa S. - Constitutive mRNA expression of b chemokines and their receptors in HIV exposed uninfected and infected infants and children (presented at the poster and mini oral symposium of American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Washington DC, March 13-18,1998)
- Morales M., Bakshi S., Patrick S and Pahwa S. - SCID variants with unusual immunologic presentation (presented at the poster session of Experimental Biology, Clinical Immunology Society, San Francisco, CA April 18-22,1998)
- Morales M., Therratil J., Della Vechia D., Wang SF, Halsey J and Frieri M. - Environmental control of indoor allergens resulted in clinical improvement of asthmatic patients in an ambulatory setting (presented at the poster session, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Philadelphia, PA, Nov 1998)
- Than S, Tumaliuan J., Tamma S., Morales M., Bakshi S., and Pahwa S. - Chemokine pattern in relation to disease state in human immunodeficiency virus infected children, AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol 15, number 14, 1999, 1279-1285
- Rushing,GD, Goretsky MJ, Gustin T., Morales MB, Kelly RE and NussD - When it’s not an infection: metal allergy after the Nuss procedure for repair of pectus excavatum (presented as a poster presentation APSA, May 2006, presented at CHKD pediatric research day, June 2006, Norfolk,VA, presented at poster session of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Nov 10-11, 2006, Philadelphia, PA
- Rushing GD, Goretsky MJ, Gustin T, Morales MB, Kelly RE and Nuss D. - When it is not an infection: metal allergy after the Nuss Procedure for repair of pectus excavatum, Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol 42, Jan 2007, 93-97
- Morales M; Kelly C; Hogan,A; Gowen,M. and Werner A. - A Description of inflammatory cell types in moderate to severe pediatric asthma: eosinophilic and non eosinophilic sputum markers while on anti IgE therapy (presented
at poster session, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 19th Annual Research Day, October 5, 2007, Norfolk,VA, presented at poster session Eastern Allergy Conference, May 2010, Palm Beach FL
- Johnson, JBS; Cronin, J ,Morales M and Hogan A. - Reliability of food specific serum IgE values in determining outcomes of oral food challenge (presented at poster session, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 19th Annual Research Day, October 5, 2007, Norfolk,VA
- Garvin A, Sendon, C, Mcguire E, Chocano J and Morales M. - Clinical characteristics in difficult to control pediatric asthma patients in a tertiary pediatric subspecialty clinic (presented at the CHKD summer scholar scientific paper presentation, July 2009, Norfolk,VA, presented at the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, poster presentation Feb 2010, New Orleans, LA, poster presentation at Pediatric Academic Societies, Vancouver, Canada, May 2010
- Kotini, P.; Werner A. and Morales M. Case Presentation of Heiner’s Syndrome. Presented as poster in Children’s Hospital of King’s Daughters Annual Pediatric Research Day Norfolk, VA June 2010. Poster presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Phoenix, AZ November 11-16 2010. Published on Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology November 2010 Vol 105 Number 5 Supplement 1 page A28.
- Patel,J, Cavero V.,Perkins A.M. and Morales M. - Evaluation of a medication adherence estimator survey compared to exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO) levels and asthma control test in difficult to treat/severe pediatric asthma patients (presented at CHKD Annual Pediatric Research Day, Norfolk, VA, June 2013. Accepted for poster presentation at Eastern Virginia Medical School Research Day on October 2013.