Developmental Pediatrics at CHKD provides consultations for the evaluation, diagnosis and management of children with developmental disabilities.
Our program has been designated as a Child Development Center through
the Virginia Department of Health. Our full care team also consists of psychologists, social workers and educational consultants.
Conditions We Treat
Note: Developmental Pediatrics at CHKD are not psychiatrists and does not provide any counseling services.
- Our developmental pediatricians are subspecialty board certified in neurodevelopmental disabilities and developmental behavioral pediatrics. They provide a comprehensive medical evaluation to identify underlying neurological concerns related to developmental delays.
- Our pediatric psychologists
specialize in working with children with developmental delays. They provide evaluations to confirm or provide clarifying diagnoses for such conditions as Autism Spectrum Disorders, learning disabilities, and Attention Deficit
Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- Our licensed clinical social workers provide intake appointments to obtain a
detailed developmental history and ensure patients are receiving the necessary
services while they wait for their appointments with the developmental
pediatrician and/or their evaluation appointment with psychology.
- Our education
consultants provide support for families who have questions about current
academic supports and services.
Services We Offer
We tailor each child's treatment plan according to his or her unique needs. We may recommend a consultation with a developmental pediatrician, lab tests or other services depending on your child's assessment.
Insurance and Referral Information
CHKD's developmental pediatrics department include premature infants, children with developmental
delays and/or genetic syndromes, children with speech and motor delays, or students failing school.
- All Patients have to be referred by a physician.
- The referring physician’s office must call for the first appointment.
- If you have an insurance that requires a referral you should ask your PCP to start the referral process. They will not automatically start it for you.
- Tricare Prime referrals must be received by our office before an appointment can be made. This is the only insurance that a parent can call for the first time appointment after our office has received the referral.
If you have questions about your bill, please call (757) 668-7200. We also offer in-depth information about insurance in our billing and insurance section.
Developmental Pediatric Locations