"Having grown up in Franklin, the opportunity to return home to work at CHKD was appealing to me and I now enjoy being on faculty at EVMS where I was once a medical student."
Dr. Joel Clingenpeel
American Board of Pediatrics
Medical School: Eastern Virginia Medical School
Residency: University of Virginia Hospitals
Fellowship: Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Dr. Clingenpeel returned to CHKD in 2005 after completing his pediatric emergency medicine fellowship. He is very involved with graduate medical education at CHKDand serves as the fellowship director of pediatric emergency medicine for the three-year ACGME accredited fellowship program.
Additionally, Dr. Clingenpeel is the director for two other training programs at CHKD/ EVMS: medical simulation in education and international pediatric emergency medicine.
He is a member of the EVMS graduate medical education committee.
- Medical education
- Injury prevention
Honors & awards
- Coastal Virginia Magazine "Top Doc" 2015
- Coastal Virginia Magazine "Top Doc" 2014
- “Hampton Roads Top Doctor,” Hampton Roads Magazine, August 2013
- “Hampton Roads Top Doctor,” Hampton Roads Magazine, August 2012
Outstanding Clinical Instructor Award, Department of Emergency Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School 2011-2012
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Faculty Alumni Inductee (Nominated by EVMS Students), 2010
- Outstanding Clinical Instructor Award, Department of Emergency Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School 2008-2009
Outstanding Clinical Instructor Award, Department of Emergency Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School 2007-2008
- Honorary Member, Dominican Society of Pediatrics, 2006
- James W. Hayes Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Pediatrics, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 2006
- Children's educator, St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Chesapeake
- Mounts J, Clingenpeel JM. Apparent desaturation on pulse oximetry due to hemoglobinopathy. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2010 Oct; 26(10):748-9.
- Mounts J, Clingenpeel JM, McGuire E, Byers E, Kireeva Y. Most commonly missed fractures in a pediatric emergency department. Clinical Pediatrics (Phila). 2011 Mar;50(3):183-6. Epub 2010 Dec 2.
- Hartwig HD, Clingenpeel JM, Perkins AM, Rose W, Abdullah-Anyiwo J. Parental knowledge of radiation exposure in medical imaging used in the pediatric emergency department. Pediatric Emergency Care, 2013 Jun;29(6):705-9.
- Burhop J, Clingenpeel JM, Poirier MP. Emergency department diagnosis of Dietl’s crisis in a 7 year-old with abdominal pain. J Invest Med. Vol. 61:2;February 2013: 378.