The Medical Genetics and Metabolism Clinic at CHKD helps children and families whose hereditary and genetic factors play a role in causing a disease, birth defect or susceptibility to a health problem.
Conditions We Treat
We care for children with a variety of conditions, including:
We tailor each child's treatment plan according to his or her unique needs. Among the services we may recommend for your child are:
- Diagnostic evaluation and testing
- Educational counseling
- Medical care and management
- Metabolic nutrition counseling and management of related conditions
About Dr. Samantha Vergano
Dr. Samantha Vergano is board-certified in both pediatrics and medical genetics. She is assisted by board-certified genetic counselors, a metabolic dietitian, nursing staff and various technical and office personnel, all of whom are trained to care for the special needs of children. Our division is dedicated to the care of children and genetic conditions.
Insurance and Referral Information
All patients must have a referral from a primary care physician before they call to make an appointment.
If your insurance is an HMO, you must also:
- Make sure your referral has not expired. Many are good for only 90 days, so check yours before scheduling an appointment. If your referral has expired, call your primary care physician and explain your situation. In most cases, your primary care physician will provide a new or extended referral.
- Bring the referral with you to the appointment. If you do not have a referral, or if the referral has expired, your HMO will not pay for your appointment.
We offer in-depth information about insurance in our Billing and Insurance section.
Before an appointment, patients are asked to:
- Obtain all medical records on the patient being evaluated
- Obtain a valid insurance referral
- Complete a new-patient packet. A packet will be mailed to you once the appointment has been scheduled.
- Gather family photographs for the initial visit
- Arrive 15 minutes before your appointment time to complete the registration process. Please remember to bring a valid insurance card, insurance referral (if required), new-patient packet, and family photos.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment for any reason, we ask that you call the office to cancel at least two days in advance. This will allow other patients to see our team of specialists.
Medical Genetics and Metabolism Clinic Location