"I enjoy working with people who like helping children feel better, in a place that focuses solely on children's health issues. It just feels good making kids smile."
Dr. Marilyn Gowen
American Board of Pediatrics
Medical School: Medical College of Virginia
Residency: University of Louisville
Fellowship: Duke University Medical School
Dr. Gowen is from Richmond, VA, where she majored in biology at the University of Richmond before attending medical school at VCU's Medical College of Virginia.
She has completed fellowships in pediatric allergy, immunology and pulmonology and is an assistant professor of pediatrics and the director of the division of pediatric pulmonology at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
Cystic fibrosisAsthmaCongenital lung anomaliesChronic lung disease of infancyApnea of infancyTracheostomy and ventilator dependencyObstructive sleep apnea
Honors & awards
- Coastal Virginia Magazine "Top Doc" 2014
- Hampton Roads Top Doc Award, 2012, 2013
- Student Teaching Award for Pediatrics, 2005
- Pediatric Resident Award for Teaching Excellence (ECU), 1988-1989
- Elder in Presbyterian church
- Peer reviewer for Virginia Health Quality Center, 2003-2004
- Chair, Southeast regional advisory committee, American Lung Association of Virginia, 1998-2002
- Member, board of directors, American Lung Association of Virginia, 1994-2002