"To say I love my job here at CHKD would be an understatement, that’s why I am always smiling."
Dr. John Harrington
American Board of Pediatrics
Medical School: New York Medical College
Residency: New York Medical College
Fellowship: New York Medical College
Dr. Harrington is a board-certified general
pediatrician and father of an 18-year-old son with autism. He is a Robert
Wood Johnson Fellow recipient for primary care research and completed a three-year
HRSA mentoring program for general pediatric research.
Dr. Harrington moved to
Virginia even years ago and is currently the division director of General Academic
Pediatrics, located on the first floor of CHKD. His group has over 25,000
visits per year. His main interests are autism, obesity, behavioral problems,
and the education of medical students and pediatric residents.
He is a professor of pediatrics at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
Dr. Harrington feels that providing care to patients in a team/family environment is pretty special. All of the physicians
and care-staff are dedicated to making GAP the medical home for the parents and
patients. He feels privileged to be among the doctors and staff that train many
of the new physicians who enter into the CHKD community soon after their
medical student and residency training.
Dr. Harrington has special interest in autism, obesity, behavioral problems and the education of medical students and pediatric residents.
Honors & Awards
- Coast Virginia Magazine "top Doc" 2014
- Special Achievement Award from the AAP for Distinguished Service and Dedication to the Mission and Goals of the Academy for advocacy efforts to promote effective care of children with autism
- Selected for National recognition as the CDC "Immunization Champion” for Virginia
- One of Hampton Roads Magazine's “Top Doctors” for Pediatrics in 2012 and 2013
Community Involvement and Memberships
- Member of Consortium for Infant and Child Health
(CINCH) and Vice-Chair of Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs in
Hampton Roads, VA
Charter member of Tidewater Community of Practice in
Autism or CoPA in Hampton Roads
- Harrington JW, Allen K. The clinician's guide to autism. Pediatr Rev. 2014 Feb;35(2):62-78.
- Harrington JW, Bai R, Perkins AM. Screening children for autism in an urban clinic using an electronic M-CHAT. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2013 Jan;52(1):35-41.
- Harrington JW, Logan S, Harwell C, Gardner J, Swingle J, McGuire E, Santos R. Effective analgesia using physical interventions for infant immunizations. Pediatrics. 2012 May;129(5):815-22.
- Harrington JW. Pediatrics update: How will DSM-5’s revisions affect children with autism? Consult Pediatricians 2013;12(8):342.
- Harrington JW. Autism in the school-aged child: diagnostic dilemma, comorbid condition-or both? Consult Pediatricians 2013;12(1):13-7.
- Sherman L, Harrington JW. Idiopathic intervertebral disk calcification. Consult Pediatricians 2012;11(12):438-9.
- Grubert J, Fisher R, Maples K, Harrington JW. Morning report: Toddler with failure to thrive and fever, blistering rash after varicella vaccination. Consult Pediatricians 2012;11(5):143-4.
- Harrington JW. Guest commentary: Tiny Tim and Big D. Consult Pediatricians 2012;11(4):97.