International Adoption and Travel Medicine
General Booth Pediatrics’ International Adoption and Travel Medicine Clinic helps families grow by offering comprehensive pre-and post-adoption medical consultations and evaluations for prospective parents preparing to welcome a child from abroad into their lives.
Adopting a child is a joyous, exciting and often anxious experience that calls for careful and caring medical and developmental assessments. Throughout the adoption process, CHKD pediatrician Douglas Mitchell, MD, in collaboration with other CHKD experts, helps parents understand the unique medical history and potential future needs of their child.
General Booth Pediatrics provides the range of services necessary for children who may have health risks associated with time spent in orphanages or other institutions abroad while also assisting with their assimilation into their new family and country. Our goal is to help each family ensure its child develops to his or her maximum potential.
The clinic is located at the Health and Surgery Center at Princess Anne, Suite 201. With various health care specialists available at this one location, a child’s needs may be conveniently and expertly addressed.
Services We Offer
- Pre-adoption evaluation: Review of medical information, photos and video; travel preparation consultations, and consultation while abroad
- Post-adoption medical evaluation: Comprehensive medical and laboratory evaluation
- Referrals to specialists and consultation clinics: developmental pediatrics, gastroenterology, cardiology, allergy, surgery, endocrinology, dermatology, radiology, speech and occupational therapy and dentistry
- Domestic adoption medical review: Analysis of prenatal records, review of medical/social history of birth family and consultations with obstetrician and pediatrician
- Primary care management
- Coordination of care in collaboration with the primary care physician to provide expertise in problems unique to this population of children
- Travel medicine consultation for any travel: Includes recommendations for both children and adults for necessary immunizations, country conditions and travel supplies
Our fees are in accordance with our standard billing practices. Please contact the office and a member of our staff will gladly assist you.
Please contact us by email at GBP.InternationalAdoption@chkd.org with any questions, or call us at (757) 668-6689.
International Adoption and Travel Medicine Location