"I fell in love with CHKD the very first time I visited Norfolk. Our hospital provides high quality 'big city' specialty care for children in a small-town atmosphere. The beauty and marine culture of the Hampton Roads area attracts the best and brightest pediatric subspecialists to our hospital, while our size allows us to provide care for patients in a warm, intimate environment."
Dr. David Darrow
American Board of Otolaryngology
Medical School: Duke University
Residency: University of California San Diego Medical Center
Fellowship: Children's Memorial Center, Chicago
Dr. Darrow is the founder and co-director of the EVMS center for hemangiomas and vascular birthmarks, a multidisciplinary treatment program for patients with these disorders. He has lectured locally and nationally on proper diagnosis and management of middle ear disease in children and written extensively on indications for tonsil and adenoid surgery. He was appointed to the panel that crafted the recently published national guideline on tonsillectomy in children.
Dr. Darrow served for 13 years on the executive committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics section on otolaryngology - head & neck surgery, including terms as its chair and program chair. He served on AAP panels that developed guidelines for management of sinusitis and follow-up care of tympanostomy tubes and is currently participating in the development of referral guidelines for children with vascular birthmarks. He is a past member of the board of directors of the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology.
A native of New York City, Dr. Darrow now resides in Virginia Beach. He is married, with two sons and two daughters. He feels that the beauty and marine culture of the Hampton Roads area attracts the best and brightest pediatric subspecialists to CHKD, while the hospital's size allows the staff to provide care for patients in a warm, intimate environment.
- Hemangiomas and vascular birthmarks
- Otitis media
Honors & Awards
- Coastal Virginia Magazine "Top Doc" 2014
- 2013 Sylvan Stool Award for Teaching and Service, Society for Ear, Nose, and Throat Advances in Children
- 2013 Faculty Teaching Award, EVMS Residency in Otolaryngology
- 2009, 2011-12 “Top Ten Reviewer”, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Journal
- 2012-13 Hampton Roads Magazine "Top Docs"
- 2011 Hampton Roads Magazine "Super Docs"
- 2004 Hampton Roads Magazine “Top Docs For Kids”
- 2013 America’s Top Physicians
- 2003, 2005-13 America’s Top Doctors (voted top 1% nationally 2010, 2012)
- 1999, 2002, 2004, 2007-09, 2012-13 “Best Doctors in America”
- 2009-12 Patients' Choice Award
- 2001 Honor Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- 1996 Elected to membership in Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- 1993 Chairman’s Award for Outstanding Teaching as a Resident, UCSD Department of Surgery
Community Involvement and Memberships
- “Popcorn kernel,” Cub Scout Pack 63
- Broad Bay Island Civic League
- Board member, www.birthmarks.com
- Wald ER, Applegate KE, Bordley C, Darrow DH, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and management of acute bacterial sinusitis in children aged 1 to 18 years. Pediatrics. 2013; 32:e262-80.
- Drolet BA, Frommelt PC, Chamlin SL, ... Darrow DH, et al. Initiation and use of propranolol for infantile hemangioma: report of a consensus conference. Pediatrics. 2013; 131:128-40.
- Baugh RF, Archer SM, Mitchell RB, … Darrow DH, et al. Clinical practice guideline: Tonsillectomy in children. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery 2011; 144:S1-30.
- Schilder AG, Darrow DH, Rosenfeld RM. Antibiotics for otitis media with effusion in children. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery 2013; 148:902-5.
- Hull BP, Darrow DH, Derkay CS. The financial value of fellowship training in otolaryngology. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery 2013; 148:906-11.
- Parikh SR, Darrow DH, Grimmer JF, Manning SC, Richter GT, Perkins JA. Propranolol use for infantile hemangiomas: American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology Vascular Anomalies Task Force practice patterns. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013; 139:153-6.
- Wilcox LJ, Darrow DH. Should water precautions be recommended for children with tympanostomy tubes?Laryngoscope. In press.
- Dowling MB, Zhao Y, Darrow DH. Orodental manifestations of facial port wine stains. J Amer Acad Dermatol 2012; 67:687-93.
- Boston M, Dobratz EJ, Buescher ES, Darrow DH. Effects of nasal saline spray on human neutrophils. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery 2003; 129:660-664.
- Younger RM, Darrow DH. Hand-held metal detectors in the confirmation of radiopaque foreign bodies of the esophagus. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2001; 127:1371-4.
- Darrow DH, Keithley EM. Reduction of endotoxin-induced inflammation of the middle ear by polymyxin B. Laryngoscope 1996; 106:1028-1033.
- Lemberg PS, Darrow DH, Holinger LD. Aerodigestive tract foreign bodies in the older child and adolescent. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1996; 105:267-271.
- Darrow DH, Keithley EM, Harris JP. Effects of bacterial endotoxin applied to the guinea pig cochlea. Laryngoscope 1992; 102:683-688.