Dr. Kuhn was appointed CHKD's medical director of vascular access in 2007 and continues in that position. In 2012, she was appointed medical director of trauma services, which includes trauma and burns. She has been involved at the state level to develop criteria for a pediatric trauma center and is presently involved in obtaining that verification for CHKD as it launches its trauma care program.
Prior to arriving at CHKD in 2005, Dr. Kuhn completed residencies in general surgery and trauma/research as well as a fellowship in pediatric surgery. She also did a wound healing research fellowship at the Institute for Tissue Regeneration, Repair, and Rehabilitation at the Bay Pines Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Florida.
After earning her medical degree from Marshall University’s School of Medicine, Dr. Kuhn received a number of honors during her post-graduate training programs, including resident of the year and student teaching awards. Among her published works are book chapters on breast disorders and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome – a collection of symptoms caused by abnormal fluid build-up in the abdomen – in pediatric patients.
She is also an assistant professor of clinical surgery and pediatrics at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
1. B. H. Edil, M. D.,
D. W. Tuggle, M.D., S. Jones, R.N., Roxie Albrecht, M.D., A. Kuhn, M.D., P. C.
Mantor, M.D., N. K. Puffinbarger, M.D. Pediatric Major Resuscitation –
Respiratory Compromise as a Criterion for Mandatory Surgeon Presence. Journal
of Pediatric Surgery 2005;40:926-928.
2. S. Manatt, M.D., J. B. Campbell, M.D., F. Ramji, M.D., A. Kuhn, M.D., D.
Frimberger, M.D. Inguinal Herniation of the Bladder in an Infant. Canadian
Journal of Urology2006;13:3057-3058.
3. Nuss D, Kuhn MA, Obermeyer RJ. Our approach: MIS repair of pectus excavatum.
Contemporary Surgery 2007; 63(9):444-451.
4. Johnson K, Vaughan A, Derkay C, Welch JC, Werner A, Kuhn MA, et al.
Microdebrider vs electrocautery: a comparison of tonsillar wound healing
histopathology in a
canine model. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008; Apr; 138(4):486-91.
5. Redlinger, Jr, RE, Rushing, GD, Moskowitz, AB, Kelly, Jr. RE, Nuss, D, Kuhn,
MA, Obermeyer, RJ, Goretsky, MJ. Minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum
patients with Marfan Syndrome and Marfanoid features. Journal of Pediatric
6. Stacey, M, Neumann, SA, Dooley, A, Segna, K, Kelly, RE, Nuss D, Kuhn, MA,
Goretsky, MJ, Fecteau, AH, Pastor, A, Proud, V: “Variable number of tandem
repeat polymorphisms (VNTR’s) in the ACAN gene associated with pectus
excavatum.” Clinical Genetics 2010:78:5.
7. Kelly RE JR, Goretsky MJ, Obermeyer RJ, Kuhn MA, et al. “Twenty-one years of
experience with minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum by the Nuss
in 1215 patients.” Annals of Surgery 2010;252(6):1072-1081.
8. Redlinger RE Jr, Kelly RE Jr, Nuss D, Goretsky MJ, Kuhn MA, Sullivan K,
Wooten AE, Obermeyer RJ. “Regional chest wall motion dysfunction in patients
with pectus excavatum demonstrated via Optoelectronic Plethysmography” Journal
of Pediatric Surgery; 2011 Vol 46(6):117– 1176.
9. Redlinger RE Jr, Wootton A, Kelly RE, Nuss D, Goretsky M, Kuhn MA, Obermeyer
RJ. “Optoelectronic plethysmography demonstrates abrogation of regional chest
wall motion dysfunction in patients with pectus excavatum after Nuss repair.” J
Pediatr Surg; 2012 Vol 47(1):160-4.
10. Redlinger RE Jr, Kelly RE Jr, Nuss D, Kuhn MA, Obermeyer RJ, Goretsky MJ.
“One hundred patients with recurrent pectus excavatum repaired via the
minimally invasive Nuss technique-effective in most regardless of initial
operative approach.” J Pediatr Surg; 2011 Vol 46(6): 1177-81.
11. Shah B, Cohee A, Deyerle A, Kelly CS, Frantz F, Kelly RE, Kuhn MA, Lombardo
ML, Obermeyer R, Goretsky MJ “High Rates of Metal Allergy Amongst Nuss
Procedure Patients Dictate Broader Pre-Operative Testing” Journal of Pediatric
Surgery. 2014 Vol 49(3):451-454.
1. M. Ann Kuhn, M.D,
D Nuss, M.B., Ch.B. Pectus Deformities. In Fundamentals of Pediatric Surgery.
2. R. E. Kelly, Jr., M.D, M. Ann Kuhn, M.D. Complications of Thoracic Surgery.
Complications in Pediatric Surgery. Informa Healthcare 2009.
3. R. E. Kelly, Jr., M.D., M. Ann Kuhn, M.D. Pediatric Thoracic Surgery
Complications – Prevention and Management.