"CHKD is great because we are always looking for ways to improve patient care."
Dr. Robert Obermeyer
American Board of Surgery
Medical School: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Residency: Western Reserve Care Forum Hospital
Residency: University of Arkansas Children's Hospital
Fellowship: Baylor College of Medicine
Dr. Obermeyer has worked at CHKD for over 10 years and has a
special interest in neonatal surgery and chest wall deformities.
Dr. Obermeyer was instrumental in bringing the non-surgical
Vacuum Bell option for select pectus excavatum
patients to CHKD, collaborating with his surgical colleagues in Switzerland. CHKD's Nuss
Center has treated over 150 patients with Vacuum Bell therapy.
Prior to CHKD, Dr. Obermeyer was the chief resident in general surgery
at Western Reserve Care System and completed a fellowship in minimally invasive advanced laparoscopic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. He also holds a degree in mechanical engineering from Ohio Northern University and has engineering projects under way involving motion analysis of the chest wall of pectus patients.
In collaboration with Old Dominion University’s engineering department, he has designed a surgical tool for pectus surgery with a U.S. registered patent.
Dr. Obermeyer, who serves in a variety of leadership positions
at CHKD focusing on surgical services, is also an assistant professor of
clinical surgery and pediatrics at Eastern Virginia Medical School and is the principal investigator on eight pectus
research studies at EVMS in collaboration with
CHKD's Nuss Center. He has multiple
publications and has been a guest lecturer for numerous surgical meetings in
the U.S. and abroad.
In his free time he serves as a volunteer youth hockey coach
and has twice been named Hampton Roads Youth Hockey Association coach of the
He and his wife Mae have two children and have made Norfolk
their home since 2005.
- American Pediatric Surgical Association
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- International Pediatric Endosurgery Group
- American Academy of Pediatrics (fellow)
- American College of Surgeons (fellow)
Honors & Awards
- Coastal Virginia Magazine "Top Doc" 2016
- Coastal Virginia Magazine "Top Doc" 2014, 2015
- Best Doctors of Virginia 2012, Williamsburg & Tidewater, Virginia Living 2012
- Top Level 5 USA Hockey Coach, Hampton Roads Youth Hockey Association, Icelands Arena, Virginia Beach