CHKD's laboratory performs many routine and specialized tests for children and teens using the most appropriate state-of-the-art technology.
Our goal is to provide quality testing, timeliness in reporting, and personalized services. We also provide laboratory services at our locations throughout the community.
Each member of our extensively trained technical staff meets the specific certification requirements of the American Society for Clinical Pathology. We ensure high quality of testing by participating in quality assurance and proficiency testing programs, internal competency assessments, regular education programs, conferences and workshops. Each technologist completes age-specific communication training to ensure the best communication skills to put your child at ease.
Services and Tests We Offer
- Microbiology/Virology/Serology/Molecular Diagnostics
- Anatomical/Surgical Pathology
- Transfusion service
We provide rapid turnaround of test results, outpatient lab service, courier service and electronic delivery of reports, and we customize profiles for particular customer requirements.
Making an Appointment
No appointment is needed for most of laboratory testing at CHKD. Please call between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. if testing requires a departmental appointment.
Certain tests -- such as sweat chloride, lactose breath hydrogen, and urea breath tests -- require appointments that can be made by calling our chemistry department at (757) 668-9567.
Appointments can be made for platelet aggregations by calling the hemostasis department at (757) 668-9706. At the time the appointment is scheduled, we provide instructions for any special preparation for that specific test.
Insurance and Referral Information
If you have an HMO, you must:
- Get a referral from your child's primary care physician before you call to make an appointment.
- Make sure your referral has not expired. Many are good for only 30 days, so check yours before you come to your appointment. If your referral has expired, call your primary care physician and explain your situation. In most cases, they will write you a new one.
- Bring the referral with you to the appointment. If you do not have a referral, or if the referral you have is expired, your HMO will not pay for your appointment.
If you have fee-for-service insurance or a PPO, you do not need a physician's referral to make an appointment.
We offer in-depth information about insurance in our billing and insurance section.
Office Hours and Locations
The outpatient laboratory at CHKD operates Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Patients may also visit any of the CHKD health center locations listed on the map below between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.