CWIG Norfolk 2016
Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters (CHKD) hosted Chest Wall International Group’s (CWIG) 17th annual meeting in June, 2016.
This meeting marked the first time this prestigious group has ever convened in the U.S. More than 150 top surgeons from the United States, South America, Europe and Asia attended the conference held at the Waterside Marriott hotel in Norfolk.
The conference highlighted recent developments in the surgical and non-surgical treatment and understanding of the chest wall abnormalities pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum, as well as chest wall problems caused by trauma and disease.
CHKD is an international center for chest wall deformity treatment and research. The minimally invasive
Nuss Procedure was developed at the hospital by its surgeon-in-chief emeritus, Dr. Donald Nuss.
Dr. Nuss offered the keynote address at this year’s conference, and attended the official opening of the hospital’s new Nuss Center for Chest Wall Reconstruction. The new center provides the latest treatment options and specialized pediatric care to children, teenagers and young adults with chest wall deformities.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ - 20.00
- Dr. Donald Nuss, pediatric surgeon, creator of the Nuss Procedure
- Horacio Abramson, Thoracic surgeon, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Dr. Davi Haje, orthopedic surgeon, Brasilia, Brazil
- Dr. Dawn Jaroszewski, thoracic surgeon, Mayo Scottsdale, adult pectus
- Dr. Michael LaQuaglia, pediatric surgeon, Memorial Sloan Kettering, chest wall resection for tumors in childhood. Undisputed world authority
- Dr. Hyung Joo Park, thoracic surgeon, Seoul, Korea. Developer of multiple equipment changes in Nuss Procedure surgery including crane elevation.
- Dr. Patricio Varela, pediatric surgeon, Santiago, Chile
- Dr. Mustafa Yuksel, thoracic surgeon, Istanbul, Turkey. Marmara University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Thoracic Surgery
- Dr. Zeng Qi, pediatric surgeon, Beijing Children's
For additional information:
CWIG 2016 will be chaired by
Dr. Robert Kelly, a world leader in pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum surgery and Chief of Surgery at CHKD.
Stacey T. Bell RN BSN
Physician Practice Manager, Pediatric Surgery