Birthmark Treatment Program
At the CHKD Center for Hemangiomas and Vascular Birthmarks, pediatric specialists in several different disciplines come together to provide the most appropriate care for children. CHKD’s center is the most experienced of its kind in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Experts estimate that as many as 60 percent of birthmarks are misdiagnosed and may therefore be treated inadequately or inappropriately. At CHKD, our birthmark team collaborates to diagnose and treat vascular birthmarks, creating a multidisciplinary approach to these complex disorders.
The center’s core staff consists of specialists in pediatric plastic surgery, head and neck surgery, dermatology and radiology, who attend the clinic regularly. Consultants in pediatric orthopedic surgery, general surgery, neurosurgery, gastroenterology, pulmonary medicine, dentistry, genetics and psychology are also involved as needed.
Conditions We Treat
- Port wine stains
- Venous malformations
- Lymphatic malformations ("cystic hygromas")
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
We Offer the Latest Advances in Technology, Including:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), including non-invasive angiography and venography
- Surface and intralesional laser therapy, using pulsed dye, KTP, Nd:YAG, and CO2 lasers
- Local and systemic steroid therapy
- Angiography and embolization
- Picibinal (OK-432) sclerotherapy
- Multidisciplinary surgical removal
When and Where We Meet
The center for hemangiomas and vascular birthmarks meets three times each month, on the second and third Fridays at the CHKD main campus, and on the first Tuesday at the CHKD facility in Newport News. Patients can be referred by their pediatrician for both evaluation and treatment to the hemangioma and vascular birthmark program at CHKD in Norfolk and at the CHKD Health and Surgery Center at Oyster Point in Newport News.