Healthy You for Life
CHKD’s Healthy You for Life is a comprehensive program designed to help children gain control of their weight to improve their health.
Our Healthy You for Life program was developed in 2001 to help overweight children avoid the medical complications associated with childhood obesity.
Children who weigh more than they should risk serious health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. Self-esteem and body image can also suffer. CHKD's Healthy You for Life program can help.
Parents and children will work together focusing on all aspects of weight management, including diet and food planning, physical activity and emotional support.
The program involves both medical clinic visits with yearlong follow-up and health classes.
Healthy You for Life Clinic
Our Healthy You for Life clinic is open to children aged 3 years old and up who have a BMI of 85 percent or higher. With a physician's referral, your child can participate in our Healthy You program. This program features:
- One-on-one consultations with a physician or nurse practitioner, registered dietitian, exercise specialist, licensed clinical therapist and a registered nurse.
- Individual weight management goals and plans.
- Yearlong follow-up with clinic visits.
- Intensive 8-week lifestyle class.
- Counseling sessions with licensed counselor for those children requiring more intensive therapy
For your first clinic appointment, your child will meet with one of our providers. Please be sure to dress comfortably and bring a healthy drink and snack. Subsequent appointments are with the registered dietitian, exercise specialist and behavioral specialist.
If you have any questions, please contact us at (757) 668-7035, or fax (757) 668-7809.
Healthy You for Life Health Class
This series is for children ages 3 to 7 and ages 8 to16 who are interested in the fundamentals of nutrition, making healthy lifestyle choices, food portions, exercise options and behavioral modification and self-esteem issues. Lifestyle classes are offered on the Southside and The Peninsula throughout the year.
Before enrolling in the health classes, children are assessed at the Healthy You for Life Clinic. A physician referral is necessary to qualify for an appointment.
Click here to download a referral form.
- Group setting in which the child and parent learn how to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- Opportunity to be with peers struggling with similar weight management concerns.
- Fun and interactive learning experiences centered on choosing healthy foods and snacks and portion control.
- Exercise demonstrations illustrating easy ways to incorporate physical activity into daily routines.
- Discussions on self-esteem and body image.
- Dietitian-guided supermarket tour to facilitate healthier food selection and preparation techniques.
- Support, enthusiasm and hope from experts in the field and peer participants.
- Partnership with the YMCA.
Group Fitness Classes
For children ages 8 to 18, group fitness classes are for those who are overweight and have a body index mass (BMI) over 85 percent.
Cost: $35 for a 16-class pass, $55 for a 32-class pass
Locations and Times
CHKD Health Center at Oakbrooke
Sports Medicine Gym, Second Floor
500 Discovery Drive
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Contact: Roe DeLutis, (757) 668-2386 or email
CHKD Health Center at Loehmann's Plaza
Sports Medicine Gym, First Floor
3960 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
Mondays and Wednesdays, 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Contact: Kendall Vaughan, (757) 668-6644 or email
CHKD Health Center at Butler Farm
Sports Medicine Gym
421 Butler Farm Road
Hampton, VA 23666
Mondays 7 p.m. to 7:45 p.m., Wednesdays 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Contact: Tori Faulkner, (757) 668-4516 or email
The clinic assessment with the program team will be billed to your insurance company. You are responsible for the co-pay.
Psychotherapy group participation, as well as family and/or individual therapy sessions are an added charge and may be covered by insurance. Visits to the registered dietitian and physical therapist may also be covered by insurance.
The cost for the lifestyle class series is $35, plus any additional co-pays. Payment must be made before the first class. All fees are non-refundable and you must be an established clinic patient to qualify for class enrollment.
For more information about our Healthy You for Life program, contact Jessica Estey at (757) 668-7860 or email her at
Healthy You for Life Program Locations