CHKD offers physical therapy services to help children of all ages overcome and adapt to the challenges of developmental delay, disease or accident.
Making Great Strides: Therapy for Patients with Foot Drop at Kempsville
Taking a simple step can be frustrating for a child with foot drop. A new therapeutic intervention used at CHKD's Health Center at Kempsville offers hope.
In the past, using a stiff brace to hold the foot up was the only answer. Now a much smaller electrical device worn on the leg sends low-level electrical stimulations to activate the nerves and muscles that lift the foot. The stimulations are triggered by a sensor in the shoe to time muscle activation appropriately with the child's walking pattern.
With the device, children with foot drop are walking more naturally and confidently, and getting back to what matters most - being a kid.
For an evaluation to determine if your child is an appropriate candidate for the device, or for referral information, please contact the physical medicine and rehabilitation office at (757) 668-9915.
Locations throughout Hampton Roads
For the convenience of patients and their families, CHKD offers assessment and therapy services at locations around the region.
Our physical therapists are licensed/certified by the Virginia State Board of Medicine. They work with patients to achieve optimal function in one or more of the following areas:
- Gross motor development
- Balance and coordination
- Gait training
- Strength, endurance and exercise training
- Lower extremity and trunk range-of-motion activities
- Functional independence, including bed mobility, transfers and wheelchair mobility
- Weight management
- Burn care and follow-up treatment
- Evaluation for equipment to increase independence and enhance performance
- Family and patient instruction and education
- Coordination of care, including discharge needs
Our Physical Therapy Locations