Social workers at CHKD help
patients and their families cope with the emotional, mental and social
problems resulting from acute or chronic illness or disability. CHKD's
specially trained social workers are an important part of the medical
care team at the hospital, providing support services to patients and
families in times of crisis or prolonged illness or injury.
Inpatient and Outpatient Services Available
Our services include the following:
- Conducting comprehensive psychosocial history assessments of patients with their caregivers to aid in developing treatment plans
- Providing case management services and collaborating with CHKD's multidisciplinary medical team to implement the treatment plan
- Conducting mental health assessments and coordinating treatment plans
- Helping patients and families deal with situational crises
- Offering patients and families bereavement care
- Helping patients and their families adjust to an illness or new diagnosis and to hospitalization
- Coordinating ongoing patient and family services with community resources
- Working with the family and CHKD's eligibility worker for applications to state funds for medical care
We organize and conduct various support groups in the hospital and help families become involved in others throughout Hampton Roads. To learn more about support groups affiliated with CHKD, visit our Support Group section.
We Are Trained to Help You
CHKD's pediatric social workers all have graduate education in the field of social work and at least two to four years of experience in a medical setting. All are licensed in their field or working towards licensure.
Every CHKD unit and/or program is staffed by a full-time pediatric social worker. Social workers meet with patients and families during the child's hospitalization and/or at a clinic visit.
If You Need Our Help
Services are requested by the nurses and doctors on behalf of patients and families.
Parents and family members should talk with their child's nurse or doctor about the possibility of meeting with a CHKD social worker. A visit will then be scheduled with the family at the hospital during their child's hospitalization or at a clinic visit.
To Contact a Social Worker
Social workers are available at (757) 668-7273 to meet with families and patients 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
During the week, a social worker who is able to accept all in-house referrals is stationed in the Emergency Center until 11 p.m. On the weekends, a social worker is in-house from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
For after-hours service, social work can be reached through the hospital's nursing supervisor at (757) 668-7000.