Jump to:  A   |   B   |   C   |   D   |   E   |   F   |   G   |   H   |   I   |   J   |   K   |   L   |   M   |   N   |   O   |   P   |   Q   |   R   |   S   |   T   |   U   |   V   |   W   |   X   |   Y

Health Tip: Keep Poisons From Children

Health Tip: Keep Poisons From Children

(HealthDay News) -- Poisonous or harmful substances, from medications to cleaning supplies, should be kept safely out of reach from curious children.

Safekids.org offers these suggestions:

  • Make sure dangerous products, including bleach, detergent and other cleaning items, are kept where a child cannot reach them. Under-sink storage is not a safe place.

  • If you do store dangerous products in cabinets that a child can reach, secure them with a safety lock.

  • Many unexpected items, such as makeup, plants, personal care products and art supplies, also can be hazardous and shouldn't be within a child's reach.

  • Make sure all medications are stored out of a child's reach.

  • Inspect your home for lead-based paint. Remove any peeling paint or paint from surfaces that a child could chew.

  • Have the national Poison Help number easily accessible: 1-800-222-1222.

Reviewed Date: --

Find a pediatrician

Disclaimer: This information is not intended to substitute or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your child's physician. The content provided on this page is for informational purposes only, and was not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your child's physician with any questions or concerns you may have regarding a medical condition.