Platelet aggregation is a blood test that measures how well the platelets stick to one another. A platelet is a blood cell that helps your blood to clot. This test is scheduled with the lab through the Bleeding Disorders Nurse Coordinator.
Before the test
- Your child needs to be well when the test is performed.
- Do not give your child ibuprofen, aspirin or aspirin-containing drugs for ten (10) days before the test.
- Antibiotics should not be given for ten (10) days before the test.
- Ideally, your child should not be taking any hormonal medications, such as birth control pills.
- If your child is ill or taking any of these medications, please contact the Bleeding Disorders Nurse Coordinator, at 668-7613, or your doctor before the test. The medications and illness can affect test results and the test may need to be done another time.
- Your child may eat a light, low-fat breakfast.
The test is performed at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. You should register in the Radiology/Imaging Department at 8:00 a.m. If you have been told to report to the Hematology/Oncology Department, then you should register there at 8:00 a.m.
How the test is done
- Your child's forearm will be cleaned with alcohol and allowed to air dry.
- A band will be placed around your child's upper arm. This will feel tight.
- 3-4 tubes of blood will be drawn from your child's arm. The needle stick may hurt a little.
- The band will then be removed from your child’s arm and the blood will be taken to the lab for testing.
After the test
- A small band-aid will be placed on your child's arm.
- Please remember to take the band-aid off as soon as possible.
- The results of the test will be sent or called to your child’s doctor. This may take at least a week. Please talk with your child’s doctor about any questions you may have about the test or the results.
We look forward to seeing you on _____________ at ____ a.m.
If you have questions about these guidelines, you may contact the CHKD Hemostasis Laboratory at (757) 668-9706from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. daily, or the Bleeding Disorders Nurse Coordinator, at (757) 668-7613 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily. If you need to call them to cancel your child’s test, please do so by 3:00 p.m. the day before the test.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to substitute or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your child's physician. The content provided on this page is for informational purposes only, and was not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your child's physician with any questions or concerns you may have regarding a medical condition.