Legal Aid

Legal Education and Advocacy in Pediatrics

(757) 668-7000
Sometimes families need help solving legal problems that affect their children’s health and safety. If you feel your child’s health is affected by issues beyond your control, we can help you understand your rights.

Help with Living Conditions

Children with conditions like asthma or severe allergies need more than medicine. Cigarette smoke, insect infestation, mold and mildew can all make allergies and asthma worse. You and your family have a legal right to live in home free from these issues. If your landlord won’t fix these problems, you may need legal help.

Help with Benefits

In many cases, Medicaid or other benefits are denied because of mistakes on the application. You may still be entitled to those benefits. If you have been denied necessary public benefits, you may need legal help.

Help with Family Issues

Problems with child custody, visitation, protection orders and other family issues can affect children in a negative way. Dealing with these issues can be complicated and overwhelming. If you are having problems in these areas and feel the health of your child is suffering, you may need legal help.

Help with many things ...

The Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia offers free legal help to families who would not otherwise be able to afford it. They can help with many issues that affect your child, including:

  • Consumer: Car title loans, home improvement contracts, debt collection, garnishments or bankruptcy.
  • Education: Special education, early intervention, disabilities, school discipline or expulsion.
  • Employment: Wage claims, termination, job discrimination or unemployment benefits.
  • Domestic: Divorce, child custody and visitation, child support, guardianship/conservatorship, domestic violence and protection orders.
  • Housing: Public housing, landlord disputes, maintenance, unsafe living conditions, foreclosure and eviction.
  • Public Benefits: Medicaid, Medicare, FAMIS, SCHIP, hospitalization, TANF (food stamps), SNAP and SSI/SSDI.
(757) 668-7000

LEAP is as easy as 1, 2, 3 ...

  1. Tell your CHKD doctor or social worker about the issue affecting your child’s health to see if a LEAP referral is right for you.
  2. Your CHKD doctor or social worker will help complete the referral form and send it to Legal Aid for you.
  3. A Legal Aid team member will call you to talk about your problem and determine if they can help.

Search Options Find a Doctor