Child Life Internship at CHKD
The child life department is offering internships for those wishing to
pursue a career as a child life specialist. Be advised that if you are
selected as an intern, your college/university must negotiate a contract
with CHKD before the internship start date. If you have any questions,
please contact Elizabeth Bowman, CCLS, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHKD's Child Life Services provides a quality training experience for future child life professionals by offering a 584 hour, 14.5 week internship program with varied days and hours, twice a year.
|Internship Session||Application Deadline||Initial Offer Dates||Acceptance Dates|
|Fall||May 5||2nd Tuesday of June||2nd Wednesday of June|
|Spring||September 5||2nd Tuesday of October||2nd Wednesday of October|
In order to apply for this internship, you must meet the Child Life Council’s (CLC) certification eligibility course requirement, be affiliated with a college or university that has a standin g agreement with CHKD, and you must have at least 100 hours of volunteer or paid experience working with children and/or have completed a child life practicum. For more information regarding CLC’s course requirement please click here.
Download the general internship outline.
Submit Your Application
Mail your complete application in one envelope. Include:
- The CLC’s Common Internship Application Form
- Three Reference Letters in Sealed Envelopes: One of the letters must be from a person who has observed your work with children, especially supervisor(s) from any hospital/health care experiences you have had.
- Official Transcript from Each School Attended: Include a list of courses in which you are currently enrolled, if applicable.
- Coursework Review by the Child Life Council. Please go to www.childlife.org for more details.
- Child Life Course Verification Form
- Send to: CHKD, Child Life Department
c/o Elizabeth Bowman, CCLS
601 Children’s Lane
Norfolk, VA 23507
An interview is required if your application meets the admission criteria. Upon review of your application, you will be notified of your selection status, which may include scheduling an interview. A personal interview is preferred if you live within 100 miles of Norfolk. However, a phone interview can be arranged if you live outside the 100 mile radius or are unable to attend a personal interview. If you are selected as an intern, an affiliation agreement must be negotiated between your college or university and CHKD prior to the start of your internship. If an affiliation fails to be negotiated, the internship offer becomes void.