General Booth Pediatrics'
International Adoption and Travel Medicine Clinic
Helping Families Grow
Our program has been designed to meet a growing need, as international adoptions have tripled in the past 20 years. Last year, more than 20,000 children were adopted from countries around the world and are now happily residing with their new families in the United States.
General Booth Pediatrics’ International Adoption and Travel Medicine Clinic helps families grow by offering comprehensive pre-and post-adoption medical consultations and evaluations for prospective parents preparing to welcome a child into their lives from abroad.
Adopting a child is a joyous, exciting, and oftentimes anxious experience that calls for careful and caring medical and developmental assessments. Throughout the adoption process, CHKD pediatrician Douglas Mitchell, MD, in collaboration with other CHKD experts, helps parents understand the unique medical history and potential future needs of their child.
General Booth Pediatrics provides the range of services necessary for children who may have health risks associated with time spent in orphanages or other institutions abroad while also assisting with their assimilation into their new family and country. Our goal is to help each family ensure its child develops to his or her maximum potential.
The clinic is located in the CHKD Princess Ann Health Center, at 2021 Concert Drive, Suite 201. With a variety of health care specialists available at this one location, a child’s various needs may be conveniently and expertly addressed.
- Pre-adoption evaluation: Review of medical information, photos and video; travel preparation consultations, and consultation while abroad
- Post-adoption medical evaluation: Comprehensive medical and laboratory evaluation
- Referrals to specialists and consultation clinics: developmental pediatrics, gastroenterology, cardiology, allergy, surgery, endocrinology dermatology, radiology, speech and occupational therapy and dentistry
- Domestic adoption medical review: Analysis of prenatal records, review of medical/social history of birth family, and consultations with obstetrician and pediatrician
- Primary care management
- Coordination of care in collaboration with the primary care physician to provide expertise in problems unique to this population of children
- Travel medicine consultation for any travel: Includes recommendations for both children and adults for necessary immunizations, country conditions and travel supplies
- Our fees are in accordance with our standard billing practices. Please contact the office and a member of our staff will gladly assist you.
Please contact us by email at GBP.InternationalAdoption@chkd.org with any questions.