CHKD's nutrition services department offers individual nutrition counseling and
assessment for children from birth to 25-years old.
What conditions do you treat?
We care for children with a variety of conditions, including:
- Weight management
- High cholesterol
- Failure to thrive
- Food allergies/intolerances
- Vegetarian diets
- Eating disorders
- Tube-feeding assessment
Does your staff have special training?
Our dieticians have specialty training to work with pediatric patients. Each of
our dieticians tends to specialize in an area of interest.
- Suzanne Timmons, MPH, RD, CSP, CNSC - Clinical Nutrition Manager, Neonatal, General
- Sara Wittenberg, RD, CSP, CNSC - Critical Care, General Medicine, GI disorders
- Meredith Hart, MS, RD - Renal, General Medicine
- Melody Persinger-Yeargin, MS, RD, CSP – Cystic Fibrosis, Dysphagia clinic, Outpatients
- Eileen Coffman, MS, RD – Metabolic disorders, General Medicine
- Brikeda Jazexhiu - Hematology/Oncology, Transitional Care, General Medicine
- Mary Jo Haney, RD, CSP – Weight management, Outpatients
- Kathryn Stumbaugh, RD - Neonatal, General Medicine, Rehabilitation
Where do you see patients?
We offer our patients the convenience of office appointments at:
Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters
601 Children's Lane
Norfolk, VA 23507
CHKD Neurodevelopmental Building
850 Southampton Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23510
CHKD Health and Surgery Center at Princess Anne
2021 Concert Lane
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
CHKD Health and Surgery Center at Oyster Point
11783 Rock Landing Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
Check in for outpatient appointments is on the first floor in the main hospital. Appointment days and hours vary
but are generally offered Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Special arrangements
for alternative appointment times is possible by calling our office.
If you'd like to speak with a registered dietician, please call (757) 668-8688.
Do I need a referral to make an appointment?
You should get a referral from your doctor before setting up an appointment. Even if your insurance company does not usually require a referral you should contact your insurance company to find out it nutrition counseling is a covered benefit.
Referrals should include the following information:
- Patient name and age
- Parent/guardian name
- Contact phone number
- Referring physician
- Insurance information
Referrals and authorizations should be faxed to (757) 668-7179.
We offer in-depth information about insurance in our Billing and Insurance section.
How do I make an appointment?
To schedule a convenient location and time for an appointment, please call (757) 668-7251.
Where can I find additional nutritional resources?
In addition to the health information found in CHKD's health
library, there are
websites that provide more information.