Spina Bifida Clinic
CHKD's spina bifida clinic is a multi-disciplinary program for children and youth ages birth to 21 with abnormalities of the spine. Families can see all specialists, complete testing and receive a variety of services during one appointment. Care coordination is provided by Care Connection for Children.
What conditions do you treat?
We care for children with a variety of conditions, including the following:
- spina bifida
- tethered cord syndome
- Arnold-Chiari Malformation
- caudal regression syndrome
Where do you see patients?
Clinic meets on the 5th floor of the hospital at 601 Children's Lane in Norfolk.
Do I need a referral to make an appointment?
This depends on what kind of insurance you have.
If you have an HMO, you must:
- Get a referral from your child's primary care physician before you call to make an appointment.
- Make sure that your referral has not expired. Many are good for only 30 days, so check yours before you come to your appointment. If your referral has expired, call your primary care physician and explain your situation. In most cases, your primary care physician will provide a new or extended referral.
- Bring the referral with you to the appointment. If you do not have a referral, or if the referral you have is expired, your HMO will not pay for your appointment.
If you have fee-for-service insurance or a PPO, you do not need a physician's referral to make an appointment.
We offer in-depth information about insurance in our Billing and Insurance section.
How do I make an appointment?
To schedule an appointment, please call (757) 668-9021 or send an email.