Way to Grow!
Weight management just for kids and teens
CHKD’s 10-week Healthy You weight management programs are held at YMCAs throughout the area and offer lifestyle education, emotional support, fitness training and exercise classes for children ages 8 and up. A parent is required to attend each class with the participant, and a referral from your pediatrician is necessary for enrollment.
Healthy You offers:
- a group setting in which the child and parent learn how to make healthy lifestyle choices
- age-appropriate groupings of children (pre-teens and teens) to maximize learning, interaction and peer support
- fun, interactive learning experiences centered on choosing healthy snacks, meals and portions
- an 8-week family membership to the YMCA
- weekly group fitness sessions with a dedicated instructor from the YMCA
- discussions on self-esteem and body image
- nutritionist-guided supermarket tour to facilitate healthier food selection and preparation techniques
- support, enthusiasm and hope from experts in the field and peer participants
The program also features a half-day individual session consisting of:
- one-on-one consultations with a nutritionist, physical therapist, exercise consultant, social worker and registered nurse
- individual planning and goal setting
Children who can benefit from more intensive emotional support have access to the Healthy You program’s licensed clinical social worker and group sessions. This component of the program provides a safe place for children to discuss their feelings and emotions as they struggle with social, family, school and peer issues related to being overweight. Family and/or individual therapy sessions are also available upon request.
There is a fee for participation, but CHKD also offers tuition assistance based on need/ability to pay. For more information on CHKD’s Healthy You program, please call 668-7035.