Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters are specially trained physicians
to provide a wide range of diagnostic, therapeutic and rehabilitative services for infants, children and adolescents. They help patients gain or regain lost skills or capabilities and maximize potential that has been inhibited by developmental delay, disease or accident.
What do you manage?
What types of services are offered?
We tailor each child’s treatment plan according to his or her unique needs. Below are some of the services we provide and some of the procedures or tests we may recommend:
- Evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of rehabilitative medical problems.
- Coordinate and oversee rehabilitative therapies (including physical, occupational, and speech therapy)
- Prescribe and monitor orthotics (braces) and prosthetics (artificial limbs) and special equipment such as wheelchairs and stander and bath equipment
- In-hospital consultation for rehabilitative needs
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit for acute problems
- Pain management for CRP and musculoskeletal problems
- Spasticity management including oral medications, botulinum toxin injections, Baclofen pump assessment and management, and phenol nerve and motor point blocks
Do I need a referral to make an appointment?
That depends on what type of services you require and what type of insurance you have.
Generally, if you have an HMO, you must:
- Get a referral from your child's' primary care physician before you call to make an appointment for evaluation by one of our specialists.
- Make sure that your referral has not expired. Many are good for only 30 days, so check yours before you come to your appointment. If your referral has expired, call your primary care physician and explain your situation. In most cases, your primary care physician will provide you with a new or extended referral.
- Bring the referral with you to the appointment. If you do not have a referral, or if the referral you have is expired, your HMO will not pay for your appointment.
If you have fee-for-service insurance or a PPO, you do not need a physician's referral to make an appointment with one of our specialists. However, a written order from a physician is required to refer a patient for physical and/or occupational therapy.
We offer in-depth information about insurance in our Billing and Insurance section.
Where do you see patients?
Our physicians treat patients at:
850 Southampton Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23510
500 Discovery Drive
Chesapeake, VA 23320
2021 Concert Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Appointment times vary by day; please call our office to schedule an appointment at (757) 668-9915.
If you need to send a fax, our number is: (757) 668-8569
How do I make an appointment?
To schedule an appointment, please call (757) 668-9915.