Skip to navigation menu Skip to content
Please click here to read our COVID-19 policies and resources before your visit or appointment. X
Jump to:  A   |   B   |   C   |   D   |   E   |   F   |   G   |   H   |   I   |   J   |   K   |   L   |   M   |   N   |   O   |   P   |   Q   |   R   |   S   |   T   |   U   |   V   |   W   |   X   |   Y

Preventing Household Poisonings

Preventing Household Poisonings

Almost all poisonings happen in homes. Every day, children are treated in emergency rooms for poisonings.

The following steps can help you prevent a poisoning in your home:

  • Never leave small children alone in a room with cleaning, cosmetic, laundry, or medical products. All medicine safety tops aren't completely childproof. Some laundry or detergent packets or pods look like candy to young children. So keep them out of sight and reach from children.

  • Keep alcohol and tobacco products out of sight and reach. Both can cause physical damage if swallowed by a child.

  • Keep medicines, vitamins, and herbal remedies put away. Many medicines are mildly to highly poisonous. Some medicines can kill a child. These include heart medicine, pain medicine, sedatives, antidepressants, antipsychotics, and seizure medicine. 

  • Be sure you give a child the right dose of the right medicine. Giving too much (overdosing) can cause serious problems.

  • Remove any poisonous plants from your home. These include caladium, castor bean plant, elephant's ear, philodendron, mistletoe, holly, and dieffenbachia. These plants can cause skin irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, and other side effects if a child eats them.

  • Check gas-powered appliances regularly for carbon monoxide leaks. Make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

Check for hazards

Check these places in your home for dangerous products. Make sure these products are stored away from children:

  • Garage. Antifreeze, windshield cleaner, gasoline, charcoal lighter, pesticides, fertilizers, garden chemicals, fungicides, and flea and pest powder

  • Bedrooms. Cosmetics, cologne, hair spray, nail polish and remover, mothballs, medicines, and vitamins

  • Bathrooms and laundry room. Drain and toilet cleaners, bleach, disinfectants, detergents, laundry pods, and aerosol sprays

  • Kitchen. Button batteries, insect killer, metal polish, alcohol, detergents, and oven cleaner

  • Home workshop. Solder, lead, cadmium, formaldehyde, solvents, paint, and paint thinner

  • Pool. Chlorine, shock, pH balancers, and algaecide

Cover your bases

Don't rely on just 1 poison control measure. For safety's sake:

  • Store harmful products out of sight and reach.

  • Keep products in their original containers. For instance, never store bleach or other toxic liquids in milk bottles. Don't keep antifreeze in clear sports drink bottles.

  • Use products only for their intended purposes.

In an emergency

If your child swallows a poison:

  • Act fast! Staying calm will help you make good decisions.

  • Call 911, your local emergency number, or a poison control center at 800-222-1222.

  • Read the label of the swallowed product to Poison Control or a healthcare provider.

  • Follow the instructions of the healthcare provider exactly. Don't make your child throw up unless instructed otherwise by Poison Control at 800-222-1222 or a healthcare provider. Vomiting can cause further damage. This is especially true if the child has swallowed lye, detergents, drain cleaners, or paint thinners. 

Reviewed Date: 06-01-2021

Disclaimer: This information is not intended to substitute or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your child's physician. The content provided on this page is for informational purposes only, and was not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult your child's physician with any questions or concerns you may have regarding a medical condition.