CHKD provides aids and services, such as qualified interpreters and information in alternative formats for written documents, to help people with disabilities and/or limited proficiency in English communicate with us. These aids are provided free of charge and in a timely manner. If you need these services, please contact cultural/language services at (757) 668-8246. If you believe that CHKD has failed to provide these services or discriminated in another way on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex, you can file a grievance with:

CHKDHS Section 1557 Grievance Coordinator                    
601 Children’s Lane
Norfolk, VA 23507
(757) 668-6880

You can file a grievance in person or by mail, fax, or email. If you need help filing a grievance, the CHKDHS Section 1557 Grievance Coordinator is available to help you. You can also file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal, available at, or by mail or phone at:

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services  
200 Independence Avenue, SW
Room 509F
HHH Building
Washington, D.C. 20201
1 (800) 368-1019 or (800) 537-7697 (TDD).

Complaint forms are available here.